What is Prolotherapy?
Prolotherapy is a proliferative (regenerative) injection therapy that targets weakened areas of the body such as ligament and tendon attachments. These areas do not have a good blood supply and once injury occurs, healing can take a very long time and typically never heals fully. This commonly results in chronic pain that never seems to resolve. Ligament and tendon laxity as well as joint dysfunction are core areas of prolotherapy treatment. These 'weakened areas' are injected with dextrose, a sugar solution. Lidocaine, an anesthetic may be added to aid in pain relief.
How does Prolotherapy work?
Injection of the solution directly into the affected areas causes the body to mount a healthy immune and inflammatory response. This generates increased blood flow bringing nutrients and immune cells to the affected areas thereby assisting the body with its natural healing process. New collagen fibers and cartilage are laid down at these areas, thereby strengthening the weakened and already lax ligaments and tendons. Often times, the body just needs to be guided in the right direction and it takes care of the rest.
What is the difference between prolotherapy injections and steroid injections?
Steroid injections such as cortisone injections are used to decrease inflammation in the affected area. Well in that case, why do we not perform steroid injections? Cortisone works really well as an anti-inflammatory and the patient may feel much less pain soon after the injection is given but it is not without its side effects and the pain usually comes back. Cortisone in the long run, depresses the body's immune system, slows down wound healing, weakens the ligaments and thins the skin, cartilage and bone. Prolotherapy injections on the other hand lead to regeneration of soft tissue in the affected area. Dextrose, the solution that is used, is simply a sugar solution that is also commonly used in intravenous drips.
How many treatments do I need, how often and how long is each session?
Usually 3-4 sessions of prolotherapy once a week are required to treat the acute symptoms however certain areas like the back and neck may require more treatments. Prolotherapy treatments at our clinic usually last 25 minutes.
What conditions can be treated with Prolotherapy?
· Pain associated with any joint of the body is an excellent candidate for prolotherapy.
· Most any musculoskeletel injury
· Unstable, weak joints - torn ligaments, meniscus, worn out cartilage
· Degenerated, herniated discs
· TMJ pain
· Back pain
Dr. Kim is awesome, he has helped me a lot and also my ligament injury from a car accident.
My husband and I have been coming here for about a year. We have been working with Dr. Kim and have been treated with kindest and respect. This goes for all staff at the clinic as well. I am amazed by Dr. Kim's knowledge and wisdom and always come away from the clinic in a peaceful state. I think a few of the key approaches of his treatments are:
1) He doesn't push supplements or treatments.
2) He looks at the whole of you and takes one health problem at a time. For example: came in to see about my hormones but he first looked at my stomach. Secondly, he worked and is currently working on my pain through prolotherapy. This has always been my biggest source of stress and one I thought I just had to live with. Not anymore. For me I have come to realize I was where I was before coming to the clinic because doctors gave me pills to cover up symptoms which didn't help but made matters worse. As a menopausal woman I struggled with sleep, pain and difficulty handling stress like I used to. I now take no medications for these issues. I feel my health is one of my most important investments. It is worth every penny. I would highly recommend the clinic for anyone seeking alternate ways to improve your health.
Very knowledgeable. Stabilized my chronic lower back pain, lowered my very high cholesterol. Wise man.
Prolotherapy given by Dr. Kim has always been very effective. Dr. Kim is very skilled in determining what the issue is. He's also very skilled at administering the prolotherapy. He knows just the right amount. He will assist your recovery by informing you how to care for yourself afterwards.
Copyright © Kingsway Naturopathic Clinic